Saturday, April 16, 2011

Joshi kai and Sanzenin

Friday was the last day of classes for my junior year of college. Final exams start next week. To celebrate everything, Hubbard sensei, our AKP Resident Director, held a pizza party at her house.

Following that, I went to my first ever 女子会 (joshi kai), or girls night out:



Today, Saturday, I went to Ohara to meet up with the people I'm gonna spend the next two months interning for. Ohara is a beautiful place north of Kyoto in the mountains. I'm going to be working on an organic farm and learning about organic cloth dying and weaving. I get to stay there too and I'll be living in a house with a girl around my age who's living in Ohara for about three or four years in order to learn the dying/ weaving trade.

The people I'll be working for are very interesting and different from most Japanese people I've met. They're super genki (full of energy) and welcomed me right away. I think my work will be hard but ultimately fulfilling.

The owner had her young apprentice show me around the town a bit and so we stopped by the famous Sanzenin temple:





Some of Ohara and its surrounding mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment