Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kyoto 紅葉 (fall colors)

People here in Kyoto make a huge deal about kouyou, aka "fall colors," but to be honest when I compare the kouyou here to New York and New England's, it honestly isn't as nice. The colors aren't as vibrant as those you'd see in NY, and they don't all come out at once. Instead, they change a little at a time so that the colors last forever (about 2 months or so), but they aren't as striking: I got some pictures from google images >:D


Kyoto's Fall Colors


North East US Fall Colors

Regardless, people here are all about the kouyou and Kyoto gets flooded with "leaf peeping" tourists every fall, supposedly. Earlier in the season my host parents were telling me that the weekend trains would be more crowded becasue of all the people coming into Kyoto to peep some kouyou at the temples.

I've also noticed that if just one tree has changed colors, about ten people at a time will notice it, stop what they're doing, and then gather around it to take pictures. Makes me think that we don't appreciate our fall colors in NY enough. Hahah.

No comments:

Post a Comment