Monday, February 7, 2011

Sapporo: Day 1

Sunday was my first full day in Sapporo and because the Snow Festival hadn't started yet, I decided to check out some of the city. I went to Maruyama Park because they have a shrine there and a zoo.


There were disgusting looking monkeys...

...And a lonely tiger...

...And a few wolves, along with a bunch of other animals.

They had a lot of creatures but the cages were really small and the place was kind of dirty. It was also completely overrun with children and I got stared at a lot for being white. It was my first time to a zoo and it was OK. I would never go to an Asian zoo again though..

I bought some snacks at a convenience store on my way back from the zoo and as I was walking down the sidewalk, back to the train station, a huge black crow landed in front of me. Things went much like this (click to make larger):

That is, the big bird gave me a death glare and then motioned to my food. In fear of an impending attack I threw my food down into a snowbank to let the crow have its way. I THOUGHT the stupid bird would take my rice ball and fly away since the whole bag was too heavy for it to carry alone. INSTEAD it took my almond chocolate, fat stupid bird. And so that's how I watched a box of sweet, probably very yummy almond chocolate disappear into the skies.. very poetically and all.

Depressed, I made my way back to the hostel to get ready to go out again. I didn't have any concrete plans for the evening and so I was surprised when I went to the shoe room to go outside and saw Mike from AKP on the other side of the door. He's staying in a different hostel with other people, so it was really confusing. What was up is that his friend Claire is staying at Ino's Place in a different room than me and he was helping her move in. It was really coincidental that I saw him, though, cuz he had no idea I was staying at the hostel too.

Anyway, I told them about our other friends from AKP meeting up at the Sapporo Beer Museum and so we took a taxi and met up with them there:





The museum was interesting and free of charge to get in and so after we browsed around a bit we went to get dinner at the Beer Garden:


Since it was a restaurant where you cook meet on a grill in front of you, they gave us cool bibs. We had the "genghis khan," some lamb striplets and veggies.

Following dinner, we decided against a taxi and walked a ways back to Odori, the center of town. We could see Sapporo Tower lit up for the night:


Also, they had the snow sculptures for the festival lit up. The two major snow carvings this year are of the Great Wall of China with some Japanese-y culture stuff mixed in, and one based on the Lion King musical. The sculptures are as big as a house and incredibly detailed (!!) :


No comments:

Post a Comment